Critters Role
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An online forum to host play-by-forum roleplaying games for (Dutch) critters.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Een personage maken...(Engels)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Een personage maken...(Engels) Empty
PostSubject: Een personage maken...(Engels)   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Your first step in playing a game of dungeons & dragons is to imagine and create a character of your own. Your character is a combination of game statistics, roleplaying hooks, and your imagination. You choose a race (such as human or halfling) and a class (such as fighter or wizard). You also invent the personality, appearance, and backstory of your character. Once completed, your character serves as your representative in the game.

We will be using 5th edition rules, with a minimal amount of house rules (especially on magic). If you're not at all familiar with rules, or do not own the Player's Guide, you can always download this rule summary for your own reference.

You can also follow the whole character creation process, step-by-step, by simply reading through the different posts below.

As always, if you have questions, difficulties, ..., let me know!

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://crittersrole.board-directory.net
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Races   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Every character belongs to a race, one of the many intelligent humanoid species in the D&D world. The allowed player character races are dwarves, elves, halflings, humans, dragonborn, gnomes, half-elves, goliaths and tieflings .

The race you choose contributes to your character’s identity in an important way, by establishing a general appearance and the natural talents gained from culture and ancestry. Your character’s race grants particular racial traits, such as special senses, proficiency with certain weapons or tools, proficiency in one or more skills, or the ability to use minor spells. These traits sometimes dovetail with the capabilities of certain classes (see step 2).

For example, the racial traits of lightfoot halflings make them exceptional rogues, and
high elves tend to be powerful wizards. Sometimes playing against type can be fun, too. Halfling paladins and mountain dwarf wizards, for example, can be unusual but memorable characters.

Your race also increases one or more of your ability scores. Note these increases and remember to apply them later. Record the traits granted by your race on your character sheet. Be sure to note your starting languages and your base speed as well.

A quick overview:

Dwarf

• Constitution +2
  • Speed 25 ft.
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Dwarven Resilience (saving throw against poison has advantage & you have resistance (half damage against poison damage)
  • Stonecunning: If you make a history check involving stonework, you add double your proficient bonus.

Proficient with battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer & warhammer. You are also proficient with one of following set of tools: smith, brewer or mason.

Languages: Common & Dwarvish

Subraces:
Hills Dwarfs : +1 on wisdom, hit point max increases each time you level
Mountain Dwarfs: +2 on strength, proficient with light & medium armor

Elf

• Dexterity +2
  • Speed 30 ft.
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Keen Senses (proficient in the Perception Skill)
  • Fey Ancestry (advantage on saving throws against charm, can't be put to sleep)
  • Trance (no need for sleep, 4 hours of meditation a day needed)

Languages: Common & Elvish

Subraces:
High Elf: +1 on Intelligence, proficient in longsword, shortdword, shortbow & longbow, You know one cantrip spell of your choice ad speak one additional language of your choice

Wood Elf: +1 on wisdom, proficient in longsword, shortdword, shortbow & longbow, your speed increases to 35 ft. and you gain a proficiency in stealth.

Dark Elf/Drow: charisma +1, darvision increases to 120 ft., disadvantage on attack & perception rolls when in full daylight, you know the dancing lights cantrip, you are proficient in rapiers, shortswords and hand crossbows.

Halfling

• Dexterity +2
  • Speed 25ft.
  • Lucky (if you roll a 1 on an attack, ability or saving throw, you can reroll once)
  • Brave (advantage on saving throws against fear)
  • Nimble (You can squeeze through any hole half your own size)

Languages: Common & Halfling

Subraces:
Lightfoot Clan: charisma +1, advantage on stealth rolls when hiding
Stout Clan: Constitution +1, advantage on saving throws against poison, resistant against poison damage

Human

• All ablility scores increase by 1
  • Speed 30ft.

Languages: Common & 1 language of your choice

Dragonborn

• Strength +2, charisma +1
  • Speed 30ft.
    Draconic ancestry: you have a breath weapon & damage resistance depending on your 'dragon color':

• Black: Acid
    • Blue or Bronze: Lightning
    • Brass, Red or Gold: Fire
    • Copper: Acid
    • Green: Poison
    • Silver or White: Cold

Languages: Common & Draconic

Gnome
  • Intelligence +2
  • Speed: 25ft.
  • Darkvision: 60ft.
  • Gnome Cunning (advantage on all Int,Wis & Cha saving throws against magic)

Languages: Common & Gnomish

Subraces:
Forest: Dex+1, Minor Illusion Cantrip, You can communicate with small forest beasts
Rock: Con+1, Double proficiency bonus on history checks concerning magical, technological & alchemical items. Proficient with Tinker's tools & able to make a small clockwork device

Half-Elf
  • Cha+2, 2 other abilities of your choice +1
  • Speed 30ft.
  • Darkvision 60ft.
  • Fey Ancestry (advantage on saving throws against charm, can't be put to sleep)
  • Skill Versatility (Proficient in 2 skills of your choice)

Languages: Common, Elvish & 1 extra language of your choice

Tiefling
  • Intelligence+1, charisma +2
  • Speed 30ft.
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Hellish Resistance (resistant against fire damage)
  • Infernal Legacy (start with Thaumaturgy Cantrip)

Languages: Common & Infernal

Goliath
  • Strength+2, Constitution+1
  • Speed 30ft.
  • Natural Athlete (proficient in the athletics skill)
  • Stone's Endurance (When you take damage, you can roll a D12+constitution modifier and reduce the damage by that total. After use, you must rest (short or long) before you can use it again)
  • Powerful Buid (you count as one size larger when determining carrying capacity)
  • Mountain Born (You're adapted to high altitude & cold)

Languages: Common & Giant

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Classes   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 pm

ClassDescriptionHit DiePrimary AbilitySaving ThrowProficiencies
ClericA priestly champion who wields divine magic in service of a higher powerd8WisdomWisdom & CharismaLight and medium armor, shields,simple weapons
FighterA master of martial combat, skilled with a variety of weapons and armord10Strength or DexterityStrength & ConstitutionAll armor, shields, simple and martial weapons
RogueA scoundrel who uses stealth and trickery to overcome obstacles and enemiesd8DexterityDexterity & IntelligenceLight armor, simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
WizardA scholarly magic-user capable of manipulating the structures of realityd6IntelligenceIntelligence & WisdomDaggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
BarbarianA fierce warrior of primitive background who can enter a battle raged12StrengthStrength & ConstitutionLight and medium armor, shields, simple and martial weapons
BardAn inspiring magician whose power echoes the music of creationd8CharismaDexterity & CharismaLight armor, simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
DruidA priest of the Old Faith, wielding the powers of nature— moonlight and plant growth, fire and lightning—and adopting animal formsd8WisdomIntelligence & WisdomLight and medium armor (nonmetal), shields (nonmetal), clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears
PaladinA holy warrior bound to a sacred oathd10Strength & CharismaWisdom & CharismaAll armor, shields, simple and martial weapons
Ranger A warrior who uses martial prowess and nature magic to combat threats on the
edges of civilization
d10Dexterity & WisdomStrength & DexterityLight and medium armor, shields, simple and martial weapons
SorcererA spellcaster who draws on inherent magic from a gift or bloodlined6CharismaConstitution & CharismaDaggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
WarlockA wielder of magic that is derived from a bargain with an extraplanar entityd8CharismaWisdom & Charisma Light armor, simple weapons
Each class gains advantages when progressing in levels. You also start with certain talents and or spells. You can read up on those in the rules summary, or simple ask about them. Some classes will need to make a few extra choices (such as the Warlock and whom/how he has been fiddling with extraplanar entities Suspect )

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Backgrounds   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Every story has a beginning. Your character’s background reveals where you came from, how you became an adventurer, and your place in the world. Your fighter might have been a courageous knight or a grizzled soldier. Your wizard could have been a sage or an artisan. Your rogue might have gotten by as a guild thief or commanded audiences as a jester.

Choosing a background provides you with important story cues about your character’s identity. The most important question to ask about your background is what changed? Why did you stop doing whatever your background describes and start adventuring? Where
did you get the money to purchase your starting gear, or, if you come from a wealthy background, why don't you have more money? How did you learn the skills of your
class? What sets you apart from ordinary people who share your background?

I've listed the possible backgrounds at the bottom of this post.
Do you want a detailed description of each background, then you can check here.

• Acolyte
  • Charlatan
  • Criminal
  • Spy
  • Entertainer
  • Gladiator
  • Folk Hero
  • Guild Artisan
  • Guild Merchant
  • Hermit
  • Noble
  • Knight
  • Outlander
  • Sage
  • Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Soldier
  • Urchin
  • Haunted One

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Magic   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:20 pm

A lot of classes will use magic & spells, either from the start or when they have progressed to a higher level.

D&d has always had issues with magic in my opinion, and while I love the 5e for its' simplicity and flow-of-play, the bugs with magic arn't solved just yet. That's why the biggest of my house rules concerns magic and espcially the 'preparing of spells'.

In short: I don't do the rule you have to prepare your spells in advance. Period.
In length: If you know a spell, you know it. You have a limited amount of magical capability (read: spell slots) and you can use those to cast any of the spells you know. If you want to cast one spell x times in a row, that's fine by me. If you want to spread it over your entire spellbook, that's fine too.

I just don't believe in magic users who have teleported a whole group yesterday, suddenly can't to the same today, just because they didn't 'prepare' the spell. So as long as you have the needed spell slots available, you're good to go.

A quick summary of magic users & their capabilities at level 1:

ClassCantrips Known1st level spells known1st level spell slots available
Bard242
Cleric322
Druid222
Sorcerer422
Warlock221
Wizard322

For all reference on which spells are available and what they do, you can go here.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Wealth, equipment & trinkets   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Starting equipment & wealth

When you create your character, you receive equipment & funds based on a combination of your class and background. So the choices you have made in the past few posts, will now determine what you'll equipped with. If you're not sure what you start out with, let me know and I will list it for you.

Should you want to shop some more (and I advise you do), this list is a good referrence:
Een personage maken...(Engels) Latest?cb=20151117014326

If you're looking for something not on the list, let me know and I'll give you the details on what you're looking for.

There, almost finished. I will roll a 100-sided die for you and according to that result, you'll receive an additional trinket: a strange and small keepsake, that' doesn't really have an advantage, but makes for cool roleplaying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Een personage maken...(Engels)   Een personage maken...(Engels) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Een personage maken...(Engels)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Critters Role :: Buitenspel :: Regelwerk-
Jump to: